June 21, 2009

My Father: "Dad-oo"



Now I seriously do not know how we came to call my father by the monicker "Dad-oo" but somehow when we were teenagers it stuck and has been a term of endearment since.

The end of June is a busy time for my dad, Mr. J.E. Jolley Jr.. He has his birthday on the 17th, Father's Day somewhere around that week, and then he married my mum on June 23rd, 36 years ago!

I just wanted to say that my Dad is a quirky fellow, but I love him very much! His conspiracy theories never cease to amaze and the depth of his theological knowledge is something to learn from. We weren't that, erm, compatible, when I was a child (I think it was the stubborn/rebellious streak on my part) but now as a grown woman I can truly appreciate the depth of his love, the scope of his wisdom and his faithful heart for following Jesus.

My favorite memory is the bedtime stories he told. No tales of trolls, goblins and fairy princesses for us, my dad would lull us to sleep by explaining in great detail how tools and large machinery worked, or how an electrical system was installed in a house. I can still remember drifting off to sleep hearing "and then the studs are raised up and nailed together which make the walls of the house..."

Anyways, Happy Father's Day Dad-oo! Thanks for being my father and with your life and faith, pointing all three of us children to our Heavenly Father.

I love you!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Good post!

Mary and Jim said...

Great tribute to a great dad!